Dear Union Sisters and Brothers,
First of all, I wanted to thank Dr. Heard for typing up the minutes. Thank you.
Secondly, the members who were present wanted me to reiterate the purpose of the Contract exploration meetings.
We are going into negotiation for our Contract next year. I know it seems like it is far away, but it is better that we get prepared early.
We have never had a Contract committee like this one that actually had time to review the Contract because previous presidents negotiated the Contract without our input. Even during the strike of 2004, I am not sure that our rank-and-file members were involved. That won’t be the case this time because each chapter chair WILL serve on the negotiation team, and our president is more democratic.
The purpose of this first meeting was for me to explain some background on negotiation, list who most likely will be on the negotiation team, establish ground rules, and then collectivize how we would move forward. The small group that met did excellent work:
They decided that we will have face-to-face and regular surveys and review the entire Contract, page by page.
We did list issues that were a major concern, but specific details will remain with me. The administration does not need to know what these discussions entail. Period.
I hope the purpose of these meeting is clearer. We will continue with the H.W.C. Professional meeting tomorrow, 2p.m. to 3p.m. in room 609.
Below, see the minutes we can send out. I am also attaching the PowerPoint presentation, in case you cannot make the meetings.
Faculty Contract Review Meeting—Oct 20, 2016, 2:00pm
- Discussed process by which we would review the current contract and other comparable Contracts
- Decided that we will do a face-to-face survey of Faculty member in addition to a regular survey
- Discussed the idea of saving money during the strike and other possibilities to assist people
- Decided to review the Contract page by page.We began reviewing the Contract through page 5.
- The next meeting is scheduled for November 10th from 2p.m. to 3p.m.
Decisions: Jesú will send out the PowerPoint she presented and also will explain, again, the purpose of the Exploration Meeting for people who were not present.